De Bruin is an environmental economist, specialized in the economics of climate change adaptation, and hold a PhD degree from Wageningen University, the Netherlands on the economic analysis of adaptation to climate change under uncertainty.
Her research interests lie in the field of the economic evaluation of adaptation strategies for droughts and floods around the world.
Projects and roles:
ClimateXL - WP leader on ‘Adaptation decision-making under uncertainty’, taking into account the range of variability and change associated with weather and climate extremes when considering factors such as long-term investments in urban infrastructure.
Climate change and Chinese agriculture: effects on food production and options for adaptation - Analysis of farm-level adaptation to drought for the case of maize production in Shanxi province, China
HICAP - Analysis of investment decisions in flood protection for the Eastern Brahmaputra Plains, Assam, India
MultiPolicy - Project leader of the ‘Multi-scale policy implementation for natural hazard risk reduction’ project, providing an international comparison between Mexico, Taiwan, New Zealand and Norway (Working Group 6 Winner of International START Secretariat grant as follow-on Research from the WSSF Programme and 2013 seminar on 'Risk interpretation and Action'.)
EVA - ‘Extreme risks, vulnerability and community-based adaptation in India’ project, WP leader on participatory assessment of adaptation measures to climate change in the dryland Jalna district in the state of Maharashtra, India
Currently de Bruin combine her research position at CICERO with a research position at the Climate change and adaptive land and water management team of Alterra-Wageningen UR, the Netherlands.
World Social Science Fellow on ‘Risk Interpretation and Action: Decision-making under conditions of uncertainty’, selected by the International Social Science Council (ISSC) and Integrated Research on Disaster Risk (IRDR) programme
- ClimateXL Weather and climate extremes are likely to be one of the largest societal challenges associated with climate change in this century. Under climate change, these extreme events will intensify and become more frequent, and consequently the risk of severe and costly damage for humans and infrastructure will increase.
Publikasjoner og formidling ved CICERO
Gå til: Tidsskriftspublikasjon
- Taoyuan Wei, Tianyi Zhang, Karianne de Bruin, Solveig Glomsrød, Qinghua Shi, 2017 Extreme weather impacts on maize yield: The case of Shanxi Province in China Sustainability, MDPI AG, EN
- Thordis Linda Thorarinsdottir, Peter Guttorp, Martin Drews, Per Skougaard Kaspersen, Karianne de Bruin, 2017 Sea level adaptation decisions under uncertainty Water Resources Research, American Geophysical Union (AGU), EN
- Thordis Linda Thorarinsdottir, Karianne de Bruin, 2016 Challenges of climate change adaptation: Practical and methodological challenges of climate change adaptation EOS, American Geophysical Union, EN
- Emma Doyle, Shabana Khan, Carolina Adler, Ryan C. Alaniz, Simone Athayde, Kuan-Hui Elaine Lin, Wendy Saunders, Todd Schenk, Fabiola Sosa-Rodriguez, Victoria Sword-Daniels, Olayinka Akanle, Marie-Ange Baudoin, Chiung Ting Chang, Karianne de Bruin, Riyanti Djalante, Christine Eriksen, Hsiang-Chieh Lee, Jyoti Mishra, Victor O. Okorie, David R. Olanya, Goda Perlaviciute, Naxhelli Ruiz-Rivera, Suzanne Vallance, Xinlu Xie, Lun Yin, 2014 Reporting on the Seminar - Risk Interpretation and Action (RIA): Decision Making Under Conditions of Uncertainty Australasian Journal of Disaster and Trauma Studies, EN
- Karianne de Bruin, Hasse Goosen, Ekko Van Ierland, Rolf Groeneveld, 2013 Costs and benefits of adapting spatial planning to climate change: Lessons learned from a large-scale urban development project in the Netherlands Regional Environmental Change, EN
- Johanna Mustelin, Natasha Kuruppu, Arnoldo Matus Kramer, Joseph Daron, Karianne de Bruin, Alex Guerra, 2013 Climate adaptation research for the next generation Climate and Development, EN
- Karianne de Bruin, Erik Ansink, 2011 Investment in flood protection measures under climate change uncertainty Climate Change Economics, EN
- Karianne de Bruin, R.B. Dellink, A. Ruijs, L. Bolwidt, A. van Buuren, J. Graveland, R.S. De Groot, P.J. Kuikman, S. Reinhard, R.P. Roetter, V.C. Tassone, A. Verhagen, E.C. van Ierland, 2009 Adapting to climate change in the Netherlands: An inventory of climate adaptation options and ranking of alternatives Climatic Change, Kluwer Academic Publishers, EN