Phone: +47 22 00 47 61 /
Asbjørn was employed by Statistics Norway from 1978 to 1992, where he worked primarily on the management of national wealth and income from natural resources. He was employed by CICERO in 1993, to address costs and benefits of climate policies, decision making under uncertainty, and adaptation to increasing frequencies of extreme events. He was a Lead Author of IPCCs Second Assessment report on the applicability of cost-benefit analysis of climate change policies. He was research director for the cluster on Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability from 2007 to 2012, and research director for the Unit of Climate Economics from 2012 to 2014. In later years, his work has been focusing mostly on integration of results from other disciplines in economic modeling, taking part in several projects for the European Commission. Attention has been on the development of tools to combine national policy perspectives with local interests and individual perspectives, including how to incorporate uncertainties and risk. In 2016, he was nominated to the ENI award for achievements in environmental and resource economics for this work.
- MAFOR The aim of this project is to assess the socioeconomic benefits of initiatives taken to reduce emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD+) in Indian forests.
- Sis-klimat- Climate transitions in the Norwegian food system How can the Norwegian food production - consumption system be changed towards sustainable production of more climate friendly food? This overarching question targets opportunities for climate change adaptation and emission reductions, but also looks for co-benefits for, and stronger links between, producers and consumers.
- Climate change impacts, adaptation and mitigation in Tanzania CICERO's role was to carry out studies of adaptation to climate change among smallholders in selected local communities in Tanzania, and combine the findings with results from modeling of farming systems and modeling of the agricultural sector in the country.
- Coastal erosion trends, monitoring and technical responses in touristic beaches in Agean Archipelago
- MAFOR Climate change mitigation and adaptation in the forest plantation sector.
- TOPDAD Our mission is to develop tools which will help businesses and regional governments find the best strategies to adapt to climate change. ToPDAd focuses on the energy, transport and tourism sectors in particular.
- S2S4E Climate Services for Clean Energy S2S4E is a European climate services innovation project funded by Horizon2020. CICERO is the second largest partner of the consortium and leads two work packages.
Publications and outreach at CICERO
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Torben Kenea Mideksa, 2017 Requirements to metrics of greenhouse gas emissions, given a cap on temperature Ecological Economics, Elsevier Science, EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Karine Nyborg, On the interpretation and applicability of a 'Green National Product' The Review of Income and Wealth, Blackwell Publishers, EN
- Anthony G. Patt, Detlef Peter van Vuuren, Frank Berkhout, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Andries F. Hof, Morna Isaac, Reinhard Mechler, Adaptation in integrated assessment modeling: where do we stand? Climatic Change, Kluwer Academic Publishers, EN
- Anton Orlov, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Economy-wide effects of international and Russia's climate policies Energy Economics, North-Holland, EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Taoyuan Wei, Bård Romstad, Conflicts of interests by limiting global warming to +3C Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer Netherlands, EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Bård Romstad, Taoyuan Wei, Jon Egill Kristjansson, Helene Østlie Muri, Ulrike Niemeier, Hauke Schmidt, An economic evaluation of solar radiation management Science of the Total Environment, Elsevier Science, EN
- H Schmidt, Kari Alterskjær, Diana Bou Karam, O Boucher, A Jones, Jon Egill Kristjansson, U. Niemeier, M Schulz, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, F. Benduhn, M Lawrence, C. Timmreck, Can a reduction of solar irradiance counteract CO2-induced climate change? – Results from four Earth system models Earth System Dynamics, Copernicus GmbH, EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Helene Amundsen, Therese Dokken, Taoyuan Wei, Impacts and adaptation to climate change in European economies Global Environmental Change, Elsevier Science, EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Rajiv Kumar Chaturvedi, Anitha D. Sagadevan, Integrated modelling approaches to analysis of climate change impacts on forests and forest management Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer Netherlands, EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Ranjith Gopalakrishnan, Rajiv Kumar Chaturvedi, N. H. Ravindranath, Anitha D. Sagadevan, Nitasha Sharma, Taoyuan Wei, A macroeconomic analysis of adaptation to climate change impacts on forests in India Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer Netherlands, EN
- Reinhard Mechler, Stefan Hochrainer, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Håkon Sælen, Anita Wreford, Modelling economic impacts and adaptation to extreme events: Insights from European case studies Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer Netherlands, EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Bård Romstad, Håkon Sælen, Assessment of risks for adaptation to climate change: the case of land-slides Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer Netherlands, EN
- Kristin Aunan, G. Pátzay, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Hans Martin Seip, Health and environmental benefits from air pollution reductions in Hungary Science of the Total Environment, Elsevier Science, EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, The determination of optimal climate policy Ecological Economics, Elsevier Science, EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Samfunnsøkonomisk vurdering av virkninger av klimaendringer Samfunnsøkonomen, Samfunnsøkonomenes Forening, NO
- C. Jaedicke, A. Solheim, L. H. Blikra, Knut Stalsberg, Asgeir Sorteberg, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, K. Kronholm, D. Vikhamar-Schuler, Ketil Isaksen, K. Sletten, K. Kristensen, Idar Barstad, C. Melchiorre, Ø.A. Høydal, Heidi Elizabeth Staff Mestl, Spatial and temporal variations of Norwegian geohazards in a changing climate, the GeoExtreme Project Natural hazards and earth system sciences, EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Jan S. Fuglestvedt, Odd Godal, Costs Savings of a Flexible Multi-Gas Climate Policy Energy Journal, EN
- Linda Sygna, Jan S. Fuglestvedt, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, The adequacy of GWPs as indicators of damage costs incurred by global warming Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer Netherlands, EN
- Hans Martin Seip, Kristin Aunan, Haakon Vennemo, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Klimapolitikk - utnyttelse av Den grønne utviklingsmekanismen Naturen, NB
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Kristin Aunan, Hans Martin Seip, The value of the environment - Is it a matter of approach? Integrated assessment, EN
- Hans Martin Seip, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Kristin Aunan, Jinghua Fang, Kenneth A. Oye, Haakon Vennemo, Climate change and local pollution effects. Importance of an integrated approach Asia Pacific Tech Monitor, EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Kristin Aunan, Hans Martin Seip, Climate change and local pollution - an integrated approach Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer Netherlands, EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Anton Orlov, Rajiv Kumar Chaturvedi, Priya Joshi, Anitha D. Sagadevan, N. H. Ravindranath, Lost benefits and carbon uptake by protection of Indian plantations Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer Netherlands, EN
- Stefan Schãfer, Mark Lawrence, Harald Stelzer, Wanda Born, Sean Low, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Paola Adriázola, Gregor Betz, Olivier Boucher, Alexander Carius, Patrick Devine-Right, Anne Therese Gullberg, R. Stuart Haszeldine, J.M. Haywood, Katherine Houghton, Rodrigo Ibarrola, Peter J. Irvine, Jon Egill Kristjansson, Timothy M. Lenton, Jasmin S. A. Link, Aachim Maas, Lukas Meyer, Helene Østlie Muri, Andreas Oschlies, Alexander Proelss, Tim Rayner, Wilfried Rickels, Lena Ruthner, Jürgen Scheffran, Hauke Schmidt, M Schulz, Vivian Scott, Simon Shackley, Dennis Taenzler, Matthew Watson, The European Transdisciplinary Assessment of Climate Engineering (EuTRACE): Removing Greenhouse Gases from the Atmosphere and Reflecting Sunlight away from Earth. EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Halvor Dannevig, Tom Ericsson, Bob van Oort, Linda Innbjør, Trude Rauken, Haakon Vennemo, h Johansen, m* Tofteng, Carlo Aall, Kyrre Groven, Eli Heiberg, Konsekvenser av klimaendringer, tilpasning og sårbarhet i Norge. Rapport til Klimatilpasningsutvalget NO
- Solveig Aamodt, Stine Aakre, Anne Therese Gullberg, Guri Bang, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Solveig Glomsrød, Hege Westskog, Arild Underdal, Geopolitiske virkninger av lavutslippssamfunnet NO
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Kabindra Dhakal, Anton Orlov, Socio-economic consequences of climate chnage in Hindu-Kush Himalaya EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Anton Orlov, Taoyuan Wei, GRACE model and applications EN
Part of a book/report
- Hans Martin Seip, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Kristin Aunan, Climate change and local pollution effects - Importance of an integrated approach EN
- Hans Martin Seip, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Kristin Aunan, Climate change and local air pollution effects: An integrated mitigation approach EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Therese Dokken, Stefan Hochrainer, A. F. Hof, E. Jochem, R. Mechler, Detlef P. van Vuuren, National responsibilities for adaptation strategies: Lessons from four modelling framworks EN
- Reinhard Mechler, Stefan Hochrainer, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Zbigniew W. Kundzewicz, Nicola Lugeri, Marco Moriondo, Håkon Sælen, Marco Bindi, A Risk Management Approach for Assessing Adaptation to Changing Flood and Drought Risks in Europe EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Jorge Hernan Garcia-Lopez, Synergies between adaptation and mitigation and the complexity of REDD+ EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Jennifer Joy West, Anton Orlov, National and local perspectives on Adaptation Strategies in Tanzania's Agricultural sector EN
- The Stern report puts the climate problem in terms of dollars and cents Last year we saw one dismal weather record broken after the next. The seriousness of the climate problem was further underlined when the Stern Review on the Economics of Climate Change was published in October 2006. Economist Nicholas Stern believes that climate change will cost far more than previously thought.
- Ansvaret for forebygging av naturskade Norske kommuner skal passe på at det ikke bygges i områder der det er fare for skred eller ras. Men de har ingenting å tape på å tillate bygging i disse områdene.