Phone: +47 22 00 47 38 /
Research on the energy sector: Decisions under uncertainty and Sustainable development.
I am an economist and senior research fellow at CICERO. I have a master degree (1990) in finance from London School of Economics. In 2008, I received a doctoral degree in economics at Norwegian School of Economics.
For 12 years I held a position as a board member in a vertically integrated power company, and I have also been a board member in an energy-intensive aluminium company. I have worked in the natural gas, finance and educational sector before I became a researcher.
I have done research on issues related to energy, climate policy and sustainable development since 2008. My work reflects a theoretical/methodological competence in microeconomics, behavioral economics, econonometrics and real options theory.
I have led an interdisplinary research project on the impacts of climate change on the power sector involving 9 national and international research institutions (CELECT). I have been the driving force behind the development of two real options projects on policy uncertainty and investment risk in the power sector (PURELEC, RISKY-RES). These projects are led by NTNU, institute of industrial economics and technological management. I also contributed to the successful funding of the large strategic research program on renewable energy at the Sogn og Fjordane University College (RELEASE). All these projects are funded by the Research Council of Norway and the energy sector.
My main publications (level II journals) are: “Market and policy risk under different renewable electricity support schemes” (Energy), “Investment barriers under a renewable electricity support scheme: Differences across investor types” (Energy), “Uncertain Climate Policy Decisions and Investment Timing: Evidence from Hydropower Plants” (Energy), “Sustainable development: Our common future revisited” (Global Environmental Change) , “Sustainable Passenger Transport: Back to Brundtland” (Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practise), “Troublesome Leisure Travel: The Contradictions of Three Sustainable Transport Policies” (Urban Studies), “The impact of climate change on nuclear power supply” (Energy Journal).
I have for 12 years been a Board member in a vertically Integrated Power Company (representing BKK in SFE) and I have also been a Board member in the energy intensive industry (Fundo Wheels).
- Revising the National Renewables Policy Mix: The role of state aid and other key EU policies (REMIX) The REMIX project studies how EU and national decisions shape the renewable energy policy mix in six European countries.
- Investment under uncertainty : EU renewable energy and climate policies beyond 2020 (RISKY-RES) The prospects for EU renewable energy and climate policies beyond 2020 are uncertain. Investors and policy makers in Norway and abroad need knowledge on how to make decisions under this uncertainty. Firms' decisions under uncertainty can be formulated as a real option problem in which the option to delay an irreversible decision has a value. Policy as well as market uncertainty will affect this value. We derive decision rules. These rules can be used to form better forecasts of the power sector’s decisions, and to assess the social welfare cost of different policy designs and uncertain political processes.
- Renewable Energy Projects: Local Impacts and Sustainability Meeting the EU’s and Norway’s ambitious renewable energy targets will have significant local consequences. Policymakers must make decisions that balance the consequences for the economy, the society, and the environment. The project develops knowledge that assists them in such decision-making, while simultaneously providing new theoretical and empirical contributions to real options theory, social theory, restoration ecology, and local sustainable development.
Publications and outreach at CICERO
- Kristin Linnerud, Morten Simonsen, 2017 Swedish-Norwegian tradable green certificates: Scheme design flaws and perceived investment barriers Energy Policy, Elsevier Science, EN
- Stein-Erik Fleten, Kristin Linnerud, Peter Molnar, Maria Tandberg Nygård, 2016 Green electricity investment timing in practice: Real options or net present value? Energy, Pergamon Press/Elsevier, EN
- Kristin Linnerud, Erling Holden, 2016 Five criteria for global sustainable development International Journal of Global Environmental Issues, InderScience Publishers, EN
- Kristin Linnerud, Erling Holden, 2015 Investment barriers under a renewable-electricity support scheme: Differences across investor types Energy, Pergamon Press/Elsevier, EN
- Erling Holden, Kristin Linnerud, David Banister, 2014 Sustainable development: Our Common Future revisited Global Environmental Change, Elsevier Science, EN
- Kristin Linnerud, Ane Marte Heggedal, Stein-Erik Fleten, 2014 Investment timing under uncertain renewable energy policy: An empirical study of small hydropower projects Energy, Pergamon Press/Elsevier, EN
- Ane Marte Heggedal, Kristin Linnerud, Stein-Erik Fleten, Uncertain Climate Policy Decisions and Investment Timing: Evidence from Small Hydropower Plants Social Science Research Network, Social Science Research Network, EN
- Erling Holden, Kristin Linnerud, David Banister, Sustainable Passenger Transport: Back to Brundtland Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier Science, EN
- Kristin Linnerud, Torben Kenea Mideksa, Gunnar Eskeland, The Impact of Climate Change on Nuclear Power Supply ATW. Internationale Zeitschrift für Kernenergie, EN
- Erling Holden, Kristin Linnerud, Environmental Attitudes and Household Consumption: An Ambiguous Relationship International Journal of Sustainable Development, InderScience Publishers, EN
- Erling Holden, Kristin Linnerud, Troublesome Leisure Travel: The Contradictions of Three Sustainable Transport Policies Urban Studies, Carfax Publishing, EN
- Trine Krogh Boomsma, Kristin Linnerud, Market and policy risk under different renewable electricity support schemes Energy, Pergamon Press/Elsevier, EN
- Kristin Linnerud, Støtte til elektrisitetsproduksjon fra fornybare kilder. Er risiko et onde? Samfunnsøkonomen, Samfunnsøkonomenes Forening, NB
- Kristin Linnerud, Torben Kenea Mideksa, Gunnar Eskeland, The Impact of Climate Change on Nuclear Power Supply Energy Journal, EN
- Kristin Linnerud, Dirk Theodor Georg Rübbelke, Stefan Vögele, Climate Challenges for European Critical Infrastructure Protection: Nuclear Power and Water Supply IAEE International Conference, International Association for Energy Economics, EN
- Erling Holden, Kristin Linnerud, David Banister, The Imperatives of Sustainable Development Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., EN
- Stein-Erik Fleten, Peter Molnar, Maria Tandberg Nygård, Kristin Linnerud, Green certificates and investments in small hydro power plants International Conference on the European Energy Market, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers., EN
- Kristin Linnerud, Steinar Vagstad, Access pricing with regulated downstream competition and upstream externalities European Review of Agricultural Economics, EN
- Erling Holden, Kristin Linnerud, The future of sustainable passenger transport EN
- Kristin Linnerud, Erling Holden, Ny vannkraft innen 2020--potensiale og barrierer NB
- Erling Holden, Kristin Linnerud, Holger Schlaupitz, Transport og miljø NB
- Erling Holden, Kristin Linnerud, David Banister, Valeria Jana Schwanitz, August Hubert Wierling, The Imperatives of Sustainable Development: Needs, Justice, Limits EN
Part of a book/report
- Knut H. Alfsen, Gunnar Eskeland, Kristin Linnerud, Technological change and the role of non-state actors EN
- Gunnar Eskeland, Patrick Criqui, E. Jochem, Henry Neufeldt, G Catenazzi, W Eichhammer, Alex Held, M. Jakob, Kristin Linnerud, Torben Kenea Mideksa, S Mima, T Traber, W Schade, U Reiter, Nathan Appleton Rive, H Turton, Transforming the European energy system EN
- Kristin Linnerud, Erling Holden, Housing and Sustainable Transport EN
- Erling Holden, Kristin Linnerud, Sustainable Mobility EN
- Knut H. Alfsen, Gunnar Eskeland, Kristin Linnerud, Technological change and the roles of government and private actors EN
- Erling Holden, Kristin Linnerud, Troublesome leisure travel: Counterproductive sustainable transport policies EN
- Kristin Linnerud, Trine Krogh Boomsma, Revision of renewable-electricity support schemes: How policy uncertainty affects investments EN