Phone: +47 22 00 47 23 /
Håkon is trained as an environmental economist and political scientists and has a special interest in international climate cooperation.
Håkon Sælen has a PhD in Political Science from the University of Oslo (2016). He now works as Researcher, 50% at the university and 50% at CICERO Center for Climate Research. Both places, he works on the project CICEP (Strategic Challenges in International Climate and Energy Policy.
Håkon has been employed at CICERO since 2007. He has an MSc in Environmental Change and Management from the University of Oxford and a BSc in Environmental Policy with Economics from the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Centre for International Climate and Energy Policy (CICEP) CICEP is one of three centres for social science based research on environment-friendly energy established by the Research Council of Norway in 2011.
- Energy efficiency labels: how to make them useful for consumers? The CONSEED project will examine how important energy efficiency information is when consumers buy a new electric appliance, a car or a house.
Publications and outreach at CICERO
- William Brazil, Steffen Kallbekken, Håkon Sælen, James Carroll, 2019 The role of fuel cost information in new car sales Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, Elsevier Science, EN
- Radoslav Dimitrov, Jon Hovi, Detlef F. Sprinz, Håkon Sælen, Arild Underdal, 2019 Institutional and environmental effectiveness: Will the Paris Agreement work? Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change, EN
- Jon Hovi, Detlef Sprinz, Håkon Sælen, Arild Underdal, 2019 Climate Clubs: a Gateway to Effective Climate Cooperation? British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, EN
- Leif Helland, Jon Hovi, Håkon Sælen, 2018 Climate Leadership by Conditional Commitments Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, EN
- Detlef Sprinz, Håkon Sælen, Arild Underdal, Jon Hovi, 2018 The effectiveness of climate clubs under Donald Trump Climate Policy, Elsevier Science, EN
- Vegard Tørstad, Håkon Sælen, 2018 Fairness in the climate negotiations: what explains variation in parties’ expressed conceptions? Climate Policy, Elsevier Science, EN
- Todd Cherry, David M. McEvoy, Håkon Sælen, 2017 Conditional cooperation and cultural worldviews Economics Letters, Elsevier Science, EN
- Jon Hovi, Detlef Sprinz, Håkon Sælen, Arild Underdal, 2016 Climate Change Mitigation: A Role for Climate Clubs? Palgrave Communications, EN
- Detlef Sprinz, Bruce Bueno de Mesquita, Steffen Kallbekken, Frans Stokman, Håkon Sælen, Robert Thomson, 2016 Predicting paris: Multi-method approaches to forecast the outcomes of global climate negotiations Politics and Governance, cogitatiopress, EN
- Håkon Sælen, 2016 Side-payments: an effective instrument for building climate clubs? International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, Springer Publishing Company, EN
- Håkon Sælen, Torgeir Ericson, 2013 The recreational value of different winter conditions in Oslo forests: A choice experiment Journal of Environmental Management, Academic, EN
- Steffen Kallbekken, Håkon Sælen, 2013 ‘Nudging’ hotel guests to reduce food waste as a win-win environmental measure Economics Letters, Elsevier Science, EN
- Steffen Kallbekken, Håkon Sælen, Erlend Andre Tveiten Hermansen, 2013 Bridging the Energy Efficiency Gap: A Field Experiment on Lifetime Energy Costs and Household Appliances Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer Netherlands, EN
- Håkon Sælen, Hege Westskog, Einar Strumse, 2012 Values, attitudes, and pro-environmental behaviours – is there a link? Results from a Norwegian survey Economics Bulletin, EN
- Håkon Sælen, Steffen Kallbekken, 2011 A choice experiment on fuel taxation and earmarking in Norway Ecological Economics, Elsevier Science, EN
- Steffen Kallbekken, Håkon Sælen, 2011 Public acceptance for environmental taxes: Self-interest, environmental and distributional concerns Energy Policy, Elsevier Science, EN
- Reinhard Mechler, Stefan Hochrainer, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Håkon Sælen, Anita Wreford, 2010 Modelling economic impacts and adaptation to extreme events: Insights from European case studies Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer Netherlands, EN
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Bård Romstad, Håkon Sælen, 2010 Assessment of risks for adaptation to climate change: the case of land-slides Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer Netherlands, EN
- Borgar Aamaas, Marianne Tronstad Lund, Håkon Sælen, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, 2019 Assessment of carbon effects from two projects from the Rainforest Foundation Norway’s programme portfolio EN
- Steffen Kallbekken, Håkon Sælen, 2015 Predicting Paris: Forecasting key outcomes from COP 21 using an expert survey EN
- Harro van Asselt, Håkon Sælen, Pieter Pauw, 2015 Assessment and Review under a 2015 Climate Change Agreement. EN
- Steffen Kallbekken, Håkon Sælen, Arild Underdal, 2014 Equity and spectrum of mitigation commitments in the 2015 agreement EN
- Harro van Asselt, Håkon Sælen, Pieter Pauw, 2014 From Lima to Paris, and Beyond: Options for Ex Ante Assessment of Intended Nationally Determined Contributions under the UNFCCC EN
Part of a book/report
- Håkon Sælen, 2014 The effect of enforcement in the presence of strong reciprocity: an application of agent-based modelling EN
- Reinhard Mechler, Stefan Hochrainer, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Zbigniew W. Kundzewicz, Nicola Lugeri, Marco Moriondo, Håkon Sælen, Marco Bindi, 2010 A Risk Management Approach for Assessing Adaptation to Changing Flood and Drought Risks in Europe EN