Phone: +47 22 00 47 51 /
Meteorologist with special interest in atmospheric particles
Maria uses global climate models to understand how particles and other short-lived climate forcers in the atmosphere impact the climate system. Her research focuses on the Arctic region, and the radiative forcing and climate response of black carbon aerosols. Maria holds a PhD in Atmospheric Sciences from the University of Oslo. She has also worked two years as a guest researcher at NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York.
- The role of short-lived climate forcers in the global climate regime The primary objective of the project is to provide a comprehensive assessment of the potential of mitigation of Short-Lived Climate Forcers (SLCFs) in the emerging global climate regime.
- BlackArc (Black carbon and Arctic climate) How do Black Carbon (BC) aerosols influence Arctic climate change? The outcome of the ‘BlackArc’ project is to reduce the uncertainty in modelling BC and to better constrain the climate impact of BC with an Arctic focus.
- EVA - Earth system modelling of climate Variations in the Anthropocene EVA will provide a cutting-edge version of the Norwegian Earth system model NorESM for global climate assessments (CMIP6, IPCC AR6) including prognostic climate experiments and analyses of key importance for the national and international community
Impact of absorbing Aerosols on Radiative forcing in the European Arctic
The climate impact of absorbing aerosols, such as black carbon particles originating from fossil fuel combustion or biomass burning, mineral dust and volcanic ash, is still very poorly understood especially its role in the atmosphere of polar regions.
- Cryosphere - Atmosphere interactions in changing Arctic climate Objectives: To identify and quantify the major processes controlling Arctic warming and related feedback mechanisms, outline strategies to mitigate Arctic warming, and develop Nordic Earth System modelling. The focus is on short-lived climate forcers (SLCF), including natural and anthropogenic aerosols.
Publications and outreach at CICERO
Gå til: Journal article
- Anna Lewinschal, Annica M. L. Ekman, Hans-Christen Hansson, Maria Sand, Terje K. Berntsen, Joakim Langner, 2019 Local and remote temperature response of regional SO2 emissions Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Copernicus, EN
- Michael Boy, Erik S. Thomson, Juan-Camilo Acosta Navarro, Olafur Arnalds, Ekaterina Batchvarova, Jaana Bäck, Frank Berninger, Merete Bilde, Zoé Brasseur, Pavla Dagsson-Waldhauserova, Dimitri Castarède, Maryam Dalirian, Gerrit de Leeuw, Monika Dragosics, Ella-Maria Duplissy, Jonathan Duplissy, Annica Ekman, Keyan Fang, Jean-Charles Gallet, Marianne Glasius, Sven-Erik Gryning, Henrik Grythe, Hans-Christen Hansson, Margareta Hansson, Elisabeth Isaksson, Trond Iversen, Ingibjörg Svala Jónsdóttir, Ville Kasurinen, Alf Kirkevåg, Atte Korhola, Radovan Krejci, Jon Egill Kristjansson, Hanna K. Lappalainen, Antti Lauri, Matti Leppäranta, Heikki Lihavainen, Risto Makkonen, Andreas Massling, Outi Meinander, E. Douglas Nilsson, Haraldur Ólafsson, Jan B. C. Pettersson, Nønne L. Prisle, Ilona Riipinen, Pontus Roldin, Meri Ruppel, Matthew E. Salter, Maria Sand, Øyvind Seland, Heikki Seppä, Henrik Skov, Joana Soares, Andreas Stohl, Johan Ström, Jonas Svensson, Erik Swietlicki, Ksenia Tabakova, Throstur Thorsteinsson, Aki Virkkula, Gesa A. Weyhenmeyer, Yusheng Wu, Paul Zieger, Markku Kulmala, 2019 Interactions between the atmosphere, cryosphere, and ecosystems at northern high latitudes Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Copernicus, EN
- Bjørn Hallvard Samset, Maria Sand, Chris J. Smith, Susanne E. Bauer, Piers M. Forster, Jan S. Fuglestvedt, Scott McManus Osprey, Carl-Friedrich Schleussner, 2018 Climate Impacts From a Removal of Anthropogenic Aerosol Emissions Geophysical Research Letters, American Geophysical Union, EN
- Maria Sand, Bjørn Hallvard Samset, Yves Balkanski, Susanne Bauer, Nicolas Bellouin, Terje K. Berntsen, Huisheng Bian, Mian Chin, Thomas Diehl, Richard Easter, Steve J. Ghan, Trond Iversen, Alf Kirkevåg, Jean-Francois Lamarque, Guangxing Lin, Xiaohong Liu, Gan Luo, Gunnar Myhre, Twan P.C. Van Noije, Joyce E. Penner, M Schulz, Øyvind Seland, Ragnhild Bieltvedt Skeie, Philip Stier, Toshihiko Takemura, Kostas Tsigaridis, Fangqun Yu, Kai Zhang, Hua Zhang, 2017 Aerosols at the poles: an AeroCom Phase II multi-model evaluation Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Copernicus, EN
- R Mahmood, Knut von Salzen, M. Flanner, Maria Sand, Joakim Langner, Hailong Wang, Lin Huang, 2016 Seasonality of global and Arctic black carbon processes in the Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme models Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences, American Geophysical Union (AGU), EN
- Maria Sand, Terje K. Berntsen, K. von Salzen, Mark G. Flanner, Joakim Langner, David G. Victor, 2015 Response of Arctic temperature to changes in emissions of short-lived climate forcers Nature Climate Change, EN
- Maria Sand, Trond Iversen, Patrik Bohlinger, Alf Kirkevåg, Ivar A. Seierstad, Øyvind Seland, Asgeir Sorteberg, 2015 A standardised global climate model study showing unique properties for the climate response to black carbon aerosols Journal of Climate, American Meteorological Society, EN