Phone: +47 22 00 47 73 /
Jennifer is a senior social scientist at CICERO, with 15 years of interdisciplinary research experience working at the intersection between climate change impacts, vulnerability and adaptation, natural resource management and international development.
Her formal training (Master, PhD) is in international environment and development studies, with a focus on smallholder agriculture and seed-based humanitarian interventions in East Africa, but she has also worked extensively on local climate vulnerability, adaptation and transformation processes in coastal areas of Norway, has conducted field research in rural India and China, and is involved in several EU projects and initiatives aimed at enhancing social science contributions to climate services research and innovation. Her current research aims at understanding the potentials and limitations for societal transformation at the local level and enhancing the practical relevance and impact of climate information and services for various stakeholders. She co-leads the “Local Solutions” research group at CICERO, and is a co-initiator and co-leader of an Action Group within the European Joint Programming Initiative "Connecting Climate Knowledge for Europe" (JPI Climate) that aims to enhance the societal relevance of climate research within and beyond Europe. She is also is an Expert Team Member of the WMO Commission for Climatology Focus Area 4 "Capacity Development for Climate Services”.
Read her Google Scholar publications.
- Climate change impacts, adaptation and mitigation in Tanzania CICERO's role was to carry out studies of adaptation to climate change among smallholders in selected local communities in Tanzania, and combine the findings with results from modeling of farming systems and modeling of the agricultural sector in the country.
- TRANSFORM The TRANSFORM project explores how Norwegian municipalities can contribute to transformation to a low-emission society.
- CoCliME: Co-development of CLimate services for adaptation to changing Marine Ecosystems European coastal ecosystems are changing as a result of interactions between a number of drivers including overfishing, pollution, and climate change. Changes in marine ecosystems will impact on human health, food safety and the future sustainability of sectors including aquaculture, fisheries and tourism.
- ACRoBEAR – high-latitude risk of wildfire and disease The ACRoBEAR (Arctic Community Resilience to Boreal Environmental Change: Assessing Risks from fire and disease) project will quantify changing risk of boreal forest fire and natural-focal disease for local communities in high northern latitudes under changing environmental and climatic conditions.
Publications and outreach at CICERO
- Jennifer Joy West, Ruth Haug, 2017 The vulnerability and resilience of smallholder-inclusive agricultural investments in Tanzania Journal of Eastern African Studies, EN
- Jennifer Joy West, Ruth Haug, 2017 Polarised narratives and complex realities in Tanzania’s Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor Development in Practice, EN
- E.Carina H. Keskitalo, Halvor Dannevig, Grete K. Hovelsrud, Jennifer Joy West, Åsa Gerger Swartling, 2011 Adaptive capacity determinants in developed states: examples from the Nordic countries and Russia Regional Environmental Change, EN
- Jennifer Joy West, Grete K. Hovelsrud, 2010 Cross-scale Adaptation Challenges in the Coastal Fisheries: Findings from Lebesby, Northern Norway Arctic, Arctic Institute of North America, EN
- Carina Keskitalo, Halvor Dannevig, Grete K. Hovelsrud, Jennifer Joy West, Åsa Gerger Swartling, 2010 Adaptive capacity determinants in developed states: examples from the Nordic countries and Russia Regional Environmental Change, EN
- J. David Tàbara, Xingang Dai, Gensuo Jia, Darryn McEvoy, Henry Neufeldt, Anna Serra, Saskia Werners, Jennifer Joy West, 2010 The Climate Learning Ladder. A Pragmatic Procedure to Support Climate Adaptation Environmental Policy and Governance, European Research Press, EN
- Karen O'Brien, Robin Leichenko, Ulka Kelkar, Henry Venema, Guro Aandahl, Heather Tompkins, Akram Javed, Suruchi Bhadwal, Stephen Barg, Lynn P. Nygaard, Jennifer Joy West, 2004 Mapping vulnerability to multiple stressors: Climate change and globalization in India Global Environmental Change, EN
- Jennifer Joy West, Elisabeth Worliczek, 2019 Operationalizing knowledge on and for societal transformations in the face of climate change. White Paper to the JPI Climate Governing Board EN
- Jennifer Joy West, Gregor Vulturius, Eleanor O'Rourke, 2018 Evolution of CoCliME service development in response to initial stakeholder engagement: Joint Deliverable 1.1 & 4.1 EN
- Jennifer Joy West, Meaghan E. Daly, Pius Z. Yanda, 2018 Evaluating User Satisfaction with Climate Services in Tanzania 2014 - 2016 - Summary Report to the Global Framework for Climate Services Adaptation Programme in Africa EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2017 Agricultural investments for development in Tanzania: reconciling actors, strategies and logics? EN
- Meaghan E. Daly, Jennifer Joy West, Pius Z. Yanda, 2016 Establishing a baseline for monitoring and evaluating user satisfaction with climate services in Tanzania EN
- Pius Z. Yanda, Jennifer Joy West, Meaghan E. Daly, 2015 Institutional Analysis for Climate Services Development and Delivery in Tanzania EN
- Meaghan E. Daly, Pius Z. Yanda, Jennifer Joy West, 2015 Climate change policy inventory and analysis for Tanzania EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2009 Perceptions of ecological migration in Inner Mongolia, China: summary of fieldwork and relevance for climate adaptation EN
- Jennifer Joy West, Grete K. Hovelsrud, 2008 Climate change in Northern Norway: Toward an understanding of socio-economic vulnerability of natural resource- dependent sectors and communities EN
Part of a book/report
- Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Jennifer Joy West, Anton Orlov, 2017 National and local perspectives on Adaptation Strategies in Tanzania's Agricultural sector EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2015 Can linking small- and large-scale farmers enhance adaptive capacity? Evidence from Tanzania’s Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor EN
- Grete K. Hovelsrud, Jennifer Joy West, Halvor Dannevig, 2015 Exploring Vulnerability and Adaptation Narratives among Fishers, Farmers, and Municipal Planners in Northern Norway EN
- Grete K. Hovelsrud, Jennifer Joy West, Halvor Dannevig, 2013 Fisheries, resource management and climate change: Local perspectives of change in coastal communities in Northern Norway EN
- Grete K. Hovelsrud, Halvor Dannevig, Jennifer Joy West, Helene Amundsen, 2010 Adaptation in Fisheries and Municipalities: Three Communities in Northern Norway EN
- Saskia Werners, J. David Tàbara, Henry Neufeldt, Darryn McEvoy, Xingang Dai, Zsuzsanna Flachner, Jennifer Joy West, Francesc Cots, Giacomo Trombi, Nicola Lugeri, Piotr Matczak, Gert-Jan Nabuurs, 2010 Mainstreaming Adaptation in Regional Land Use and Water Management EN
Conference lecture and academic presentation
- Jennifer Joy West, 2018 Klimapanelet IPCC 1.5°C rapporten: Hva sier den om verdens fiskerier? NO
- Nina Bergan Holmelin, Karina Standal, Jennifer Joy West, 2018 Gender and Climate Change EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2018 Summary of stakeholder consultations in the Norwegian and North seas EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2018 Learning from climate services co-production efforts in multiagency, multi-stakeholder programmes: examples from African and European contexts EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2018 TRANSFORM: Local transformation toward a low-emission society EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2016 Addressing and incorporating indigenous knowledge (IK) into the GFCS APA – where do we stand and what will it take? EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2016 Social sciences, user engagement and co-production of climate services EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2016 Climate services and institutional coordination in Africa: What can we learn from social science? EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2016 Opportunities and challenges of co-producing climate information for adaptation decisions EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2016 Lessons from the Global Framework for Climate Services Adaptation Programme in Africa EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2016 Agricultural investment in Tanzania’s Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor:Combining actors, strategies and logics in development EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2015 Matsikkerhet I et endret klima EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2015 Agricultural investment in Tanzania’s Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor: Can it benefit smallholder farmers, rural communities and the environment? EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2013 Can contract farming schemes contribute to equitable and sustainable adaptation? Evidence from Tanzania's Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor EN
- Jennifer Joy West, Ruth Haug, 2013 Transforming agriculture in Tanzania's Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor - from rhetoric to reality EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2012 Agricultural investment and climate change: a comparison of smallholder farmers and large estates in Mvomero and Kilombero Districts EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2012 Interactive vulnerability in agricultural development: smallholder-estate dynamics in Tanzania’s Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor EN
- E.J. Mtengeti, Jennifer Joy West, C.P.I. Mahonge, 2011 Results of the Baseline study of Strategic Intervention Project sites in Njombe and Mvomero Districts EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2010 Perceptions of ecological migration in Inner Mongolia, China: summary of fieldwork and implications for climate adaptation EN
- Jennifer Joy West, 2009 Results of fieldwork on ecological migration in Bantanjing and Luanjingtan, in Alxa League EN
- Grete K. Hovelsrud, Helene Amundsen, Jennifer Joy West, 2008 Understanding community vulnerability and adaption to climate change: methodological challenges in analysing coupled social-ecological systems EN